[mixcloud https://www.mixcloud.com/Mambista/phonicfm-27817/ width=100% height=400 light=1]
This felt like my first show for a long time – they say absence makes the heart grow fonder – but it was good to be back. I started the show with Under Dubwood: Richard Burton reciting Dylan Thomas over the ‘Ali Baba rhythm’, then into the King Tubby dub followed by the John Holt vocal. Off we go!
There was more reggae later on from prolific remixers, Jstar, some Jamaican Jazz from Jazz Jamaica and more spoken word from Gabrielle Drake’s reading of her mother, Molly Drake’s, poetry. There has long been debate about the musical influences of the introverted Nick Drake but mother Molly (as well as early Brazilian Bossa Nova) appear to be in the mix. The track I played is taken from The Songs And Poems Of Molly Drake from The (ever-wonderful) Unthanks.
There was a smidgen of carnival business to mark Notting Hill carnival weekend; as well as misc musical tributes to my friend, mentor and co-founder of the Mambo Inn, alongside yours truly and Max Reinhardt, Sue Steward, who sadly died last week: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/aug/25/sue-steward-obituary. All the Latin I played in the show was championed by Sue back in the day.
Sue was also the first person who ever mentioned the great white, female bass player, Carol Kaye who played on Motown, Phil Spector and Beach Boy hits, as well as countless others. I remember wondering at the time how it was that I had never heard of her despite all her success and her unique role in amongst all those session guys. Carol was a crucial part of The Wrecking Crew (NB The Wrecking Crew doc on Netflix and www.carolkaye.com). Carol was also responsible for the bass intro to Wichita Lineman and is a legend I might otherwise never have been made aware of if it hadn’t been for Sue, despite knowing so much of her work.
1. The Dubwood All Stars – Under Dubwood
2. King Tubby – Ali-Baba (Version)
7X7: Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry VS. King Tubby In Dub
3. John Holt – Ali Baba
4. Emmanuel Hatungimana – Rwanda Nziza (Beautiful Rwanda)
Abatwa (The Pigmy)
5. Negrocan – Tierra
6. Témé Tan – Ça va Pas La Tête?
7. Grupo X – Sunshine and You (Johnny Machin Mix)
Jordan Rakei – Sorceress (Photay Remix)
8. Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco – Lo Tuyo Es Mental
Celia & Johnny
9. Roberto Torres – Caballo Viejo
10. The Unthanks – What Can A Song Do For You
The Songs and Poems of Molly Drake
11. Renaissance – Island
12. Carol Kaye – Bass Catch
Picking Up On The E-String
13. Bokanté – Nou Tou Se Yon
14. Fourth World – Seven Steps
15. Jstar – A Better Babylon Dub
16. Jazz Jamaica – Barbados
17. Sergio Mendes – Magalenha
18. Bebe Manga – Amie
19. Golden Afrique Vol. 1
20. Willie Colon – Chinacubana
21. Israel "Cachao" López – A Gozar Con Mi Combo
Master Sessions, Vol. 1
22. The Invisible – Love Me Again (feat. Anna Calvi) [Chaos in the CBD Remix]